Monday, August 20, 2007

Image of over all ride to come, once i get my computer up and running

Who's feeling fit?

Excellent saddle up its time for a ride. Bike shorts on do you best Matt Shervington impression, Bike Shoes with cleats, bike top tight as possible mmmm lycra, and of course the ankle socks ( within without may be excuse from these).

Starting point Westfield Southland, opened in 1967 with a handfull of stores, and is now a shrine to consumerism encompassing over 500 stores over three levels and a staggering area of 128,000 square metres. Contained within are strangley enough three Donut Kings, 3 Gloria Jeans, and too many clothing stores to mention. I must make the observation shocking to some that there are no bike stores in Southland. Even the sports stocks have poor fair when it comes to what matters.

Then the treachorous Nepean HWY, 91 km running from beautiful Melbourne, to sorento along the bay from Mordialoc onward. Personal stats on Nepean HWY, I have nearly been cleaned up several times crossing that stretch of road, and once clipped at the intersection while riding. car came accross 2 lanes, and smacked my front wheel, thankfully for him he kept driving.

Down to beach road, a haven for cyclists, if god was to create a velodrome he would name it beach road. Many cyclists call this stretch of track home, including but not limited to Bayside cyclists, Banditos cycling club and the boys from Kennedys. THis is the same stretch were the pedestian was killed earlier this year by the Hell Ride.

Down to Ricketts POint, a massive Marine sancturay and superb tea room, trust me the iced coffee is perfect! The view accross the beach, caffeinated beverage in hand, life does not get much better... Adding some pedals to the chair might help though.

From there onto black rock, home to 3 bike shops, a heap of cafes, and an amazing stretch of coast line. As seen in the image i stole from wikipedia on the left.. There is a superb cafe that makes the most awesome open steak sandwiches, protein and salt, fuel the machine:)

Sandringham is next on the agenda, featured in a Whitlams song.... God drink's at the Sando. but we have to keep pushing on, its mostly up hill now... On through elwood, brighton and Hampton (where my father was born), onto St kilda.

Stkilda Victoria, has so many land marks its hard to do them justice, Luna Park, its amazing beaches, its history steeped in trade and prostitution. Included would be the palace ball room, now closed, however so many artists have graced its halls, One of which Seven dust. MOshing with glee at the thought....I should also mention some of the best dining in melbourne, the prince band room, and the Espy (the last two are great venues).
On through to south Melbourne, for 25 km, spin arround and head home same path full pelt... averaging approximately 36 km an hour on the ride home....
Lock the bike away and into the shower, ok ytou can stop following me now:)


Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Keshi said...

me n FIT? not at the moment Aidan. LOL!

wow wut a track!! AMAZING! Im sure u'll ride like a rocker! :)
All these hot Aussie boys r so damn fit n sporty.


**Stkilda

is a place I wanted to visit when I was in Mel last year....but I didnt hv enough time. Im thinking its like Kings Cross in Syd?


Keshi.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Stace said...

I don't mind following you into the shower... ;)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: It is a beutiful part of the world, althoguh there are some tracks around the blue mountains i would love to complete i may be in that part of the world soon....

Stace: Good clean fun:)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

wonderful view I am sure... one day I may make it there. Instead I shall have to rely on your eyes for my view... well yours and others.

cheers

2:53 PM  
Blogger lee said...

Oh-where do you get all that energy, aidan! Don't forget to save some for stace.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Frank Baron said...

God forbid you should ever get hemmorhoids.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Aidan havent u ever been to the BMs?

Keshi.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Looks like a fascinating journey, Aidan, and I'd be wearin' those ankle socks too!

Oh, to be young again...but I don't think I'll follow you into the shower...

8:16 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Inside our hands: It is an amazing part of the world if you love music and coffee you will love Melbourne:)

Lee: I think stace likes when i ride it means she gets a break from her usually over active husband.

Frank: could be worse i could have "piles" of them... bad pun...I have a good bike seat not to bad on the area in question.

KEshi: nope, always wanted to go exploring up there... Soon enough i guess.

Within WIthout: I am kind of glad your not following me in, Never too old to ride. Dad is 65 and reides about 30 km a day!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

ow u'd love it!

Keshi.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Yeah, some things ARE better left to Stace...

I know you're never too old to ride.

I just did a story on two local guys who won their age category (100+ combined, one's 48, the other's 52) in the TransRocky Challenge 2007 in British Columbia's Rockies.

It was mountain biking, obviously, and it was 600 kms over seven days with vertical ascents/drops of 12,000 metres.

If they can do it, and your dad can do what he can do, why can't I? Rock on, Mate.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Aidan I replied to ur comment in my blog...when u hv time, please read :) tnxx!

Keshi.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

Heehaa, such a good description : I can actually imagine how it feels to be young and healthy and fit, and what a gorgeous route it is. (with a body that is programmed to destruct itself - it is stuffed with allergies and auto-immune responses- such power demonstrations, also not in a minor version, do not belong to my possibilities, but hell, it was nice reading this :-)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Moonroot said...

I'm very impressed by how fit you must be. Puts me to shame. And cycling down the Nepean Highway???!! Brave too, obviously.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love the fact you and ur dad will ride together, I miss my dad. Those landmarks are great aren't they? All the hings we see when we walk or ride instead of drive are wonderful.
Mia found lots of bugs when we walked the dog this morning..and she pocketed a few butcher boys too,,,lol

6:01 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Within without: Mountain biking is a heap harder. IT is a painful experience....I think i will stick to roads, and lycra is to stick to me:)

Keshi : i am trying to answer that one but i need a few more hours in the day.

Hildegarde: I used to have really bad athsma as a kid..Swimming, riding and training really helped to fix it up.

Moonroot: ahh the fine line between bravery and stupidity.

Cazzie: i am going to miss a huge ride with dad next year due to a potential new job... He has been talking about it for months i hope he is not too disapointed.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here grugblog.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Here is a fact for you. Recent Research displays that nearly 50% of all U.S. adults are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home