Saturday, May 12, 2007


Tonight, after 3 months of waiting it is finally here. Nine inch Nails are playing at the Metro in Melbourne tonight, I await the screams of the crowd, the sweat and smells of other fans, the in-depth discussion on the new album and direction.

I await a sea of black, black nails, black lips, black shirts and corsets, black shoes and Multi coloured hair. I await The moment of freedom were nothing matters but the screams of the crowd, the music having its way with me, pulling me toward it lost in rhythm and emotion.

"Hey God
why are you doing this to me?

am i not living up to what i'm supposed to be?
why am i seething with this animosity?
hey God
i think you owe me a great big apology."

Terrible Lie- Pretty Hate Machine- Nine Inch Nails-

Nine inch nails formed in 1988, when Michael "Trent" Reznor was working as a programmer and Janitor for a small recording studio, Right Track Studios in Cleveland. After much pleading Reznor was giving a few hours to record a demo and the Nails were born… From such humble beginnings Nine Inch nails produced 6 Studio albums, From the Angry Purest feeling, to the emotional roller coaster that is the Fragile and onto almost political commentary within the latest album Year Zero. On top of the studio albums, three remix albums, and the live Album, All that Could Have Been.

" I beat my machine it's a part of me it's inside of me
I'm stuck in this dream it's changing me I am becoming
the me that you know had some second thoughts
he's covered with scabs and he is broken and sore
the me that you know doesn't come around much
that part of me isn't here anymore"

The Becoming- The Downward Spiral- Nine Inch Nails

My connection… Believe it or not I have not always been the happy go lucky being the sits before you today. I was confused angry and scared, Nothing seemed to fit, I was being shown God on one hand, and science on the other.

Brought up in a strongly religious household, God was the answer to all problems, I couldn’t shake it, I was drawn to science I could see the proof, the evidence, I could see random patterns no design no god, Nothing could be reconciled, everything around me worked but nothing seemed to fit. Then I heard the music that helped me make sense of it all, I found solace in sounds disjointed but connected, songs that fed into each other, but seemed unrelated. The anger the pain fuel me on through high school, an escape from the bullies, from a world that didn’t accept my thoughts, my opinions, the fact I thought AFL was homo erotic display, or that chess was a sport. It was my escape and my saviour. Music never made you feel guilty for thinking a particular, it gave you freedom.

" Well I use to stand for something
But forgot what that could be
Theres a lot of me inside you
Maybe your afraid to see

Well I use to stand for something
Well I'm on my hands and knees
Turning in the god of this war
And he signs his name with a capital G"

Capital G- Year Zero- Nine Inch Nails

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger lee said...

I have to say that I have never heard one of their songs (showing age here). So are you fellas "dressing up", doing your fingernails and all that - or are you a sensible old married couple now? ;).

9:47 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Last time I went to the metro it was to take my baby sister to see POISON...ahhhh, those were the days :)

12:58 AM  
Blogger Stace said...

Apparently a study has concluded that most gifted students listen to hard rock / heavy metal as a form of escape. I guess I just wasn't that gifted! I find myself getting into that music fairly recently - probably a little unusual, to discover rebellion at about age 22...

Lee - not often ;)

3:03 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Lee: more on that topic later, but i am very fond of black:)

Cazzie: Poison... wow. that takes me back, further than i would care to remember. I still have Unskinny Bop, on my MP3 player.... ALice Cooper is touring in july speaking of old rockers

Stace: Sorry for corrupting your musical tastes, Heavu metal, can be incredably complicated, take nightwis, or tool for a copuple of examples.

22 is the perfect age to rebel, rebel with purpose and information.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Ah yes. Pretty Hate Machine. I picked that one up just about as soon as it was released on cassette tape. I remember hearing Head Like a Hole for the very first time, and thinking: Yes. That's it, exactly.

Hope it's a great show!

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

This log has the qualities of an essay !!
Have fun ! and how I would like to photograph there :-)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Shelly: Pretty hate machine is Awesome.... I lean more towards, The Fragile, and The Downward spiral though... Head Like A hole, live is insane, a sea of bodies and screams.... :)

Hildegarde: Following a band with a camera would be awesome, Cant take it into the mosh though... Glad you are feeling better:)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Jewel said...

Well, I've never been to a concert and truthfully, nineinchnails doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea, musically, but....I hope you have a great time with Stace!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Jewel: stace stays at home, I have a concert buddy with an iron clad disregard for his own personal safety:)
Stace comes to some concerts but not the really heavy ones

5:52 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

WOW lucky ya! SO how was it?

NIN sings this steamy number..I cant rem the title but it's a real good song.


Keshi.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Menchie said...

you probably had the time of your life...so? how was it?

8:44 PM  
Blogger homo escapeons said...

Hard to believe that Johnny Cash could reinvent Reznor's HURT and make it his own...I would not have predicted that connection in a million years...and it is an awesome version.

I'm glad you found your escape hatch band, mine were Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, Aphrodite's Child and the Stones.
Alice (Vincent)Cooper's Dad was a Minister and Alice only drank beer but he led a teen rebellion in the 70s with his harmless on stage theatrics which was a little more palatable than the stones doin' coke and having the Hell's Angels for bodyguards.

Harmless poseur protesting that allowed you to stop short of being evil.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Stace said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: It may be Closer, thats only song i can think of off the top of my head, except maybe the first time....
Sunday concert left a bit to be desired set list was good though the crowd was just ful of idiots. Tuesday was mental...

Menchie: see above, but it was quality time with trent:)

HE: Alice cooper touring in melbourne in July, should be worth a look. I actually like the Johnny Cash version, Also a band called seven dust did an accoustic version, very very cool.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home