Sunday, May 06, 2007



Sorry about the infrequency of posts, but we had a fight.

It's all my fault I was looking at another, we had been going so well since the start of our relationship, but now I am paying for it. Yes I know all guys do it, it's instinct, you see something you like and the head turns. The hunter gatherer function kicks in, the head snaps to the location of what you want (even if it is only fleeting). Surely this kind of violence is not warranted over such a small indiscretion. These near mortal wounds inflicted in front of other people too just to add insult to injury… I swear it’s the last time I will look at a passing bike now matter how good the gear set is.

Yes my new bike and I had an Altercation, surely you think it would understand that only truly want to spend time with it, but it seems to get jealous, when I look at other bikes, well mostly their components, and don’t even get me started on the anger created when I get caught flicking through the pages of a cycling magazine, " I swear I only buy for the articles". Cletus never believes me.

Cletus such a lovely name for a bike, they were some of the first words we said to each other. I remember when I was in the shop, the attraction was instantaneous, sitting there, the Tiagra gear set reflecting the light, all alone in a sea of indistinct pedals and wheels. Then when we touched we knew it was something special. The power on the thrusts, the feeling of exhilaration, the little oily deposits on my shins, it all felt so god… But I may have ruined it all.

It wasn’t even my first stupid thing I had done in the relationship, the first was making comparisons to the ex, you know how much smoother the gear change was, how much more padding she had around the seat. That both of you let me wear lycra when we're together, all of which should have really been ringing alarm bells, but being the self guy that I am I refused to listen to the voice and I paid the penalty.

Riding out, our first time, I was so nervous I thought I'd end up doing it all wrong, or the ride wouldn’t be enjoyable for both of us. Questions going through my head like how many riders had it had before? But we both got over the nerves and began to enjoy it.. Then I looked, I saw another bike from behind, and wow… 105's thinking about it makes me drool. Cletus however saw this, and next stop, just as I went to unclip, I couldn’t get my foot out, I panicked, I ripped up, and up, but the foot refused to come out, I began to tilt, more and more, and then with an almighty crash down like a tree falling in the woods, down I came, 2metres onto my hip, on the asphalt, shielding my face my elbow took the rest of the blow, taking with it a fair patch of skin.

I learnt two valuable lessons that day, one never ogle other bikes, (at least in the presence of your own).

Secondly, move your foot to the right to unhook a cleat, not up, if not you look like a complete Bourke. This only gives you the option of writing a bizarre post on your blog about bicycles to try and face some face.

Since our tiff we have made up, we ride every day, and wow can it move… Hopefully in a couple of weeks dad and I can hit the road again.

Thanks for all the good wishes for my father, he is definitely on the mend. Not to mention driving mum nuts:)

Labels: , , ,

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The elbow looks very impressive. How are the other cuts and bruises going?
Cheers,
Andrew.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Bruise is huge, my butt will never be the same...
Excited about snatches 2 days away:)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Aidan u 'ogle' too much. plz TC mate!

Cletus doesnt look all that great either. U both need to be more careful.


Keshi.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Stace said...

He's ok, I'm keeping him patched up and disinfected... I mean his wound. I didn't earn the nickname "mama Stace" for nothing!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: cletus is the piccie in the middle, (first bike) still brand new and scratch free, the yellow one is the old mountain bike and that has had a hard life:)

Stace: "mama stace" hrmmm oedipus syndrome perhaps:)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Great your dad is on the mend. I haven't named n=my bike, or my exercise bike yet, but I do name my cars. Bertha was my first car :)

11:26 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Cazzie: Bubba was my first car:) Green, mean, and ahh slow.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Bucking frilliant, Mate! You had me goin' in that first graf about a tiff between you and lovely Stace...

It SO worked. Super funny.

The great thing, too, is that your dad's doin' fine. You'll get him up and about quick.

And I hadn't seen that expression Bourke used since I went on a trip to India with a bunch of British mates many moons ago.

Isn't it burk? As in, "You stupid burk?" Or is Bourke correct? I defer to you.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

These things always come in cycles!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

burke: Australian Explorer, Bourke: a street in melbourne i am sure is named after someone...

I believe any spelling is fine it comes down to intonation....

3:39 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Steve: **** groans**** but laughs:)

nice one

3:40 PM  
Blogger Angel Without Wings said...

I used to ride a bike once when I lived at Ayers Rock Resort (main mode of transport there). I learned quickly that you should never "drink and ride" and I have the scars to remind me.

Great post Aidan. You had me going too about a fight with your beautiful wife. I was thinking "say it isn't so, not those gorgeous lovebirds. There's no hope for the rest of us".

Sorry Cletus but I'm glad it was you and not Stace.....

4:32 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

I am sure Cletus will get over it:) Stace and I do have the occasional Tiff. But generaly it's just an excuse to make up:)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Im glad u have mama Stace to lookafter ya mate.

Keshi.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

"with an almighty crash down like a tree falling in the woods" : OK, that's a clear picture !!! Heal well ! And you did put me on the wrong track starting your story with a fight in your "relationship" :-)
P.S. A frill necked lizard : sounds impressive, that would be my pleasure to photograph, you have so many animals out there that are solo australian (and that I will never see in the wild)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: she is alwasys there with the detol and the bandaids:)

Hildegarde: Come to Aus, you wont be short of things to photograph....If you need a place to crash, there is a couch available for you in Melbourne.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

hehe cute.

Keshi.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Ha Ha! That was great!

You know it wasn't going to be a true biking experience until you had your first spill. Now you can move on to a wonderful future with Cletus!

I haven't named my bike, but I did apparently name my fish last night while I was drunk, and now neither of us can remember it.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Jewel said...

Enjoyed reading this, Aidan. You write so well. My last bike was a Peewee Herman bike. One speed. Most often that was "slow". *grin* I got teased about it quite a bit but I liked the uniqueness of it. The big fat tires, full fenders, the works. I eventually sold it and haven't been on a bike since. And that is okay. *smile* BE CAREFUL!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Princess Banter said...

OoOooOh that wound looks pretty nasty! Is it all ok now?

8:15 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: :)

Shelly: It is my first fall ever, even as a kid i never fell off, i ran into a post once, i was staring at a georgeous girl and not watching were i was going, bang straight into a post... I stayed on just major bruising to my pride.

Its probably best you dont remember the fish names... My mum and Dad have three goldfish all named Nemo... Dad's logic, it makes finding nemo so much easier.

Jewell: it sound like my old bike, it had a few gears, not all worked though due to 24 years of Sand in the gears:) Ill try to be caredul, but the repair crew remains on standby.

Princess Banter: The arm is fine, is it true that chicks dig scars?

3:26 PM  
Blogger lee said...

You didn't,by any chance,almost run over a mother and child and then crash into a car on the weekend, did you? ;).

6:00 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Nope, but ill keep it in midn for next weekend:)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Menchie said...

*WINCE* that looks painful!

10:04 PM  
Blogger homo escapeons said...

Tempted by the fuit of another, say it ain't so!
Task at hand Laddy forget about multitasking while riding.
I noticed that you mentioned extra padding WTH! Those seats are hemmorrhoid helper deluxe...they are do it yourself vasectomy kits!You pinch your vas deferens into obscurity on the horn...
and don't even get me started on what that means if you're riding a cletus!!

I'm glad that you learned your lesson. No rubber neckin'

10:54 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Menchie: Yep, still a bit tender a week on....but Stace patched me up good.

HE:Its nothing too serious, we just both share a lycra fetish:)

Its the Carbon fibre seat pole which is causing the grief, no give in it... Doesnt do wonders for the butt.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Hope ur feeling better. btw look-after urself this wknd...dun speed, dun-day-dream, dun have an accident.

TC Aidan!
Keshi.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home