Friday, May 04, 2007




Good evening to all, firstly an apology to all the blogs I haven't visited or visited often this week… It has been crazy, work is bedlam, so no chance to blog there, dad went into hospital on Monday (he is fine more to follow), visiting dad, driving dad, Picking Stace's stuff up from work (4 hours in traffic up and back), I haven't even had a chance for a ride (more to follow), as well as day to day house work etc… well you get the idea.…


The Boeing 777- 200

Length 63.7 m

Wingspan 60.9 m

Height 18.5 m

Seating capacity 300 people

Weight 139,225 Kg

Mass of titanium in construction 58 tonnes



My Father Barry (prototype)

Length 30 cm

Wing span 2m

Height 175 cm

Seating capacity 3 (1 on shoulders, one under each arm)

Weight 75 kg

Mass of titanium in construction 40 g

Titanium, discovered originally as a combination of two metal oxides, in the Cornwal in the UK In the year of 1791.. then again, still as an oxide in Germany in the year 1795 by Martin Heinrich Klaproth naming it for the Titans of Greek mythology.

It was not until an American, by the name of Matthew A Hhunter came along in the year 1910 that we first encountered pure (99.9%) titanium using what is commonly called te hunter process. The young American mixed chlorine and coke (coal, mostly carbon) heated it in excess of 700 degrees to create Titanium Tetrachloride.

TiO2(s) + 2Cl2 (g) + C (s) → TiCl4(l) + CO2 (g) (thanks to Wikipedia)

The Titanium Tetrachloride is then reduced in the prescence of sodium (electron donor) to produce

TiCl4(l) + 4Na(l) → 4NaCl(l) + Ti(s)

This is an outdated process but gives a good idea of purification and redox chemistry.

Current chemistry for those still awake

2TiFeO3 + 7Cl2 + 6C (900 °C) → 2TiCl4 + 2FeCl3 + 6CO

TiCl4 + 2Mg (1100 °C) → 2MgCl2 + Ti

The military and transport usages of Titanium were not to come until the cold war, in which soviets first utilised the amazing strength to weight ratio of titanium within their submarine designs.

From there we moved on and found ways of using titanium while not killing one another, particularly Aircraft, space ships, armour plating.. "In fact the titanium 6AL-4V alloy accounts for almost 50% of all alloys used in aircraft applications."

(Borrowed from Wikipedia.)

Due to the high resistance to corrosion titanium also has medical applications, particularly the joint in my father's big toe. Yes the joint has been replaced, dad is looking to make a full recovery and will be back on the bike within 5 weeks (I offered to fit cleats to the surgical boot, it is still being considered) , and we owe it all to that wonderful metal, titanium.

****applauds**** Thanks Titanium

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Stace said...

Can your dad fly now? Or at least can his toe fly?

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

Well, if I read all that : you deserve some time to take a breath !
Note : the helmet hair hero (blond and when it is blond, we call that haircut: a straw roof)is "Jommeke" (children comic books)An example : can you see here

3:48 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Not Heavy Metal.........hard rock

9:13 AM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Your dad's only 30 cm tall? Well then, judging by that picture, how tall are you? And Stace?

I fell asleep when you got into the Pythonagorean theorems, but I dreamed about your dad.

I do hope he's all right, Mate, sincerely. Please keep us informed, as you promised.

:-)

3:44 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Yayyy fro titanium. My brother, who is not my brother but I call him brother anyhow...has it in many places throughout his body, thanks to TAC for repairing him and his ongoing treatments etc etc.
Good for your dad, I hope he is on the treddly peddly soon.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

Yay Titanium!
Hope that everything works out with Dad's new part and thanks for the wonderful expose on Titanium
..which reminds me of

Titanothere!
An extinct huge Rhinoceros type herbivorous mammal that roamed here 32 MYA
Height: 2.5M
Weight: 2 Tons

3:03 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Stace: detatchable toe, detatchable toe. I miss that segment:)

Hildegarde: Belgiums equivalent to Ginger megs:) Very cool... The comics come from Belgium:)

Steve: Rock On.. I saw a T shirt of Tshirt hell, all these heavy metals, like zinc, cobalt, Mercury all made into Rock band logos.... I am such a geek.

WW: You new avatar captures your best side:) MOre a wdith thing it is hard to capture plane dimensions in a person... I am 182cm, Stace about 170 ish...
The good news is he is up and about, walking ( on crutches) and back home with Mum. He is driving mum nuts as like me he lacks the capacity to sit still for more than 5 seconds.

Cazzie: It is amazing the joints they can create. Bringing quality of life to many:)

HE: Titanothere!
here 32 MYA
Height: 2.5M
Weight: 2 Tons

yeah, but how much titanium does it have?



Thanks to all for your concern... Dad is going to be fine:)

4:01 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Thanks for popping by.

Just remember mate I am too old and to set in my ways to be chasing women........

But never to old to use words to make em feel good!

But I aint dead yet!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Steve: Never to old to chase women, just when you get older, the girls tend to run faster.

harmless flirting makes everyone smile.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Princess Banter said...

Oooh aeroplanes -- love them! The size of them used to petrify me as a kid and I used to feel so scared for those people who work in airports with the red flags... giving guidance to pilots. I was so convinced they would get toppled over by the nose of the airplane :P

10:49 PM  
Blogger Menchie said...

Good to know your dad is fine.

You lost me too on the equations...big scary airplane -- every time I fly I still get scared -- how can all that metal possibly fly???

4:17 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Wow cool!! I'm glad your dad can keep riding (after recovery). I too have some titanium inside, and I feel like Steve Austin, the Million-dollar man. Or, on other days, Seven of Nine.
/grin

4:24 AM  
Blogger homo escapeons said...

Speaking of TITanotheres! Seven of Nine was more like 11 of 10!
Kirk..
would have..
been..
'all about that'!

ohoh this is way too Trekkie.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Stace said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Sorry down side of haveing two people using same PC, accidentally logged in as STace

Princess banter: i used to be obsessed with aero planes, i also held a civilian licence for an extended perod f time:)
I always get images of the guys with the flags going o scratch and sending a plane on the strip.

Menchie: SImple answer is a HEAP of thurst... and basic aerodynamics...
Old POst

if you want to understand aerodynamics.... i see me injure myself again:)

SHelly: do you set off metal detectors? 7 of nine is lost on me... Sory never really was a trekie:)

I dont make up with it for inane banter about comics though:)

HE: No idea on that one.... I feel thats a part of my education that is lacking, maybe a STar trek marathon?

4:21 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I hope ur dad gets better soon Aidan.

Keshi.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home