Thursday, April 05, 2007


Memory is an amazing thing, three days ago I sat down to write a long and detailed post about a man I owe so much too, a man who brought me into the world, fed me, clothed me, loved and supported me through out my life, my father..

So I sat down to write; nothing…. I racked my brains, surely I know this man, my father, a hero an inspiration, a voice for social justice and community spirit, but the words failed me… I couldn’t place his face in my mind, so I spouted out weird posts about spell check, made light about riding in the rain, when all the while I wanted to tell the world about the life I have shared and continue to share with dad.

So idly wandering today through the throngs in the local shopping hub, I came across the Easter display and all the amazing memories came flooding back.. The swimming lessons, the bon fires, my first beer (4 ended up giggling for several hours), 30 km bush walks through the Grampians and Halls Gap. It all came down to thinking of a context….

I speak of course of our family tradition of the bourbon bunny, yes the bourbon bunny who stumbles out of the warren once a year to supply bourbon to good boys and girls… Maybe I should back the story up a little…

It was a difficult period in my life, my mother and father were separated, due to certain complications which are omitted here, but it left my father and I to fend for ourselves, over this six months we became very close we talked about everything and built an incredible relationship… However during this time we had to celebrate Easter so my father comes in smiling and hands over a bottle of bourbon, and says "you’re a young man now, I have seen you grow into a man over the last few years and it time to give manly gifts" so sincere and proud of a young man in front of him, I never had the heart to tell him Easter presents are given on the Saturday not the Friday… It made that moment mean so much more, because he got his days mixed up and he thought it was Saturday…

Since then we have walked the overland, 65 km from Lake Sinclair to cradle mountain… on foot. WE have hiked the Bogong High plans, fished all the rivers in Victoria (with and With out rods), been involved in search and rescue, working together to save lives through first aid or rescue, and of course our little bike ride just to name a few..

So tonight, a day before the accidental day before I sit with a bottle of bourbon (vile), and write, about an inspiration, a hero, a best friend, and of course a father…


Thanks for everything dad, I am proud to be your son…


Cheers

P.S: Next year I'm giving you half a days head start, maybe you will keep up:)

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger Within Without said...

Wow, Aidan, brilliant. He sounds like a great man...and that you're both very lucky to have one another.

Good dig at the end there, but remember, maybe he'll end up beating you by half a day...

11:19 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Thanks WW he is a great guy, although he doesnt get around to reading my blog.... oh well he knows how i feel without seeing it written down.

To his credit he is 40 years my senior so i think he may need a slight head start.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

My ol man ha...wow nice tribute to him. Both of u r VERY LUCKY to have each other. Brilliant dad n son.

being 40yrs senior to ya doesnt mean he'll be behind ya Aidan...so watch out next time! :)

And my hugs n mwahs to ur sweet sweet dad!

Keshi.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

A lovely tribute and a very personal insight into your workings. You're just an old softy at heart and that's why I loves ya!

It is so important to let people know how you feel because you never know what tomorrow may bring.
Being a good Son will make you a better Father.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: thank i am lucky to have a dad like mine, he has just always been there...

HE: I cant wait to be a dad, i want to have just as much fun with my kids...

Not quite mature enough yet

10:05 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

aww..and I cant wait to be a mum. I just love kids.

Keshi.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Menchie said...

Aidan,
This is such a wonderful post, I hope your dad gets to read it too.

He did such a great job bringing you up -- it shows in the good memories you have of growing up with him.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Oh Aidan...how wonderful. You're both so lucky to have each other. Great photo, by the way! ;)

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

How great that you have a father you share and do so many things with and that you are appreciating it both. Heartwarming !
P.S. my camera = a Fuji finepix, lightweight with enough possibilities and a high quality lens, can zoom 10 x optically, easy to take with you. Of course a Canon, Nikon, ... can do more and give superb quality, but it is a lot more volume (lenses) and weight to carry around with.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

That is an excellent post. I am close to my Dad too, I say I AM close, but I have not seen him for almost 10 years. I still feel close to him, for all the reasons you outline, the special times when you share words and adventures. We used to go fishing, camping at Apollo Bay.
We, my husband and kids that is, are thinking of going to the Grampians next Easter. Perhaps we can get some clues from you on where to take our bus..it ought to be finsihed and on the road by then.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

SHelly: thanks, i swear my hair is permanently messy... it tends to get worse when someone points a camera toward it:)

Menchie: dad read it yesterday, he emailed me to say that he was touched, although he seemed more excited that i was buying a new bike.. (which means it probably really meant a lot to him)

Hildegarde: Still more adventures to come hopefully, still have a couple of hikes left in us.

Cazzie: i can see how family life can do that..in a vehicle... hrmm, Zumpsteins is nice if you like kangaroos, most of the grampians is best seen on foot, there are some nice walks almost mount rosea, the jaws of death has a spectacular view (i think it has been renamed the balconies, because national parks need friendly names).. also a couple of 2-3 day hikes, to keep in mind.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Aidan I changed my current music just for ya...check it out and tell me if u like it :)

Keshi.

8:41 PM  
Blogger lee said...

I really don't know about his taste, aidan -he should have given you scotch ;). Apart from that I'm sure that he's a very nice man :).

8:36 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

o forget it...lol!

Keshi.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Frank Baron said...

Ah, very nice. Every Dad would like to read something similar from his child one day.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: I dont get music at work i look at the currently listing to on the blog... However The eagles are amazing:)

Lee: i am in full agreement... Bourbon is Vile, We have shared many beers, stouts, whiskeys, in our travels.... hopefully a few more to go.

Frank Baron: I hope my kids will do the same one day... (no you dont have to congratulate stace) Kids are a while off..

2:39 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

What a lovely tribute. Very cool.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

yep The Eagles number was for ya :)

Keshi.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Elizabeth : Thanks:)
Keshi: One of the greatest bands ever:)

8:51 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

for sure!

Keshi.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

btw Aidan did u watch ABC last nite? Have a read of my current post n let me know what u think.

Keshi.

9:03 PM  
Anonymous q said...

Aww that was lovely. Now I have just an inkling as to why Stace gushes about you so much. :)

7:38 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: i havnt seen TV in around 3 years... but i liked the post..

Q? a new face thanks for dropping by... i will take that as a compliment, i still think i got the better end of the deal though landing Stace:)

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home