Friday, April 20, 2007





First and foremost I am really ok…

But I had a brush with death yesterday.. The broomstick of my demise, nearly swept me in to the pan of limbo, into the rubbish bin of eternity amongst the forgotten dust monkeys of history.

Riding my bike along a major road near my home, in the left hand lane (where we drive in Aus) a little bit of speed up, then all of a sudden a car veers from the outside lane, around a car, and into my lane. With an almighty Crack, he clips the side of my bike, which rips the handle bars around, he goes flying past it take all of my strength t right my self before eating concrete, and he keeps driving… I am pretty sure I got his side mirror against my handle bars, I pull off the road.. As the jolt had dislodged the chain, and knocked the bike out of gear… The bike (most importantly) and I are in working condition no lasting damage.

When I got home I started thinking, shouldn’t I have seen life flash before my eyes? Or better yet someone else's, as I've already seen mine. Shouldn’t I be worried about death or trying to change the way I live? The truth is I came home, had a shower, put some more music on my iPod, then did the dishes. No change, no stress, no bad thoughts, a little angry at the PRICK! (sorry) who didn’t stop but that’s it…

I cant remember a time where I have been afraid of death, I have done a thousand stupid things, some of which probably by rights should have landed me in the obituary pages under G… for Gee I am glad that one's gone.

As I have mentioned before I have seen a lot of death in my life, I grew up on a bowling green, my father was a greens keeper, most of my friends as a young man 2-10 where over 80… I thought nothing of having a friend or two die a month that was just the way life was.. People passed on, but they were remembered, for the moments in life that set them apart, a stupid comment, or something ridiculous that happened to them, that could only have happened to them, or perhaps an act of great kindness.

My philosophy is to live your life to the best of your ability, enjoy it, as it is all that there is or will be, enjoy the time you have the connections you make… If you die have no regrets, and give 'em a lot of embarrassing stories to tell at the funeral…

IS it weird to not fear the reaper?

Embarrassing confession

I have actually been "run over" twice in life… the most recent being in London. After 2 and a bit months on the European continent and silly people driving on the wrong side of the road, you get used to looking to the left then the right.. So on return to England, our first crossing, clear left stepped out… Bang, straight into my legs, resulting in some very nasty bruising, a limp for 2 weeks and a frantic (then) fiancé.. A hot chocolate later and she was fine. I how ever didn’t break a sweat..

The first time however I managed to run over my self, upper middle class twit of the year style, riding full pelt on a four wheel motor bike, my leg slipped under, ripped me off and under the bike, and over my legs it went leaving two massive red wheel marks on my legs…. Quite an achievement if I do say so my self.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Menchie said...

OMG, I'm glad you're ok. That was really close.

I used to be bit more afraid of dying than you, I guess. I've been in a lot of car accidents and one time a car swiped me while I was standing on a sidewalk and I broke my ankle. But now i'm more afraid of losing my loved ones than the thought of myself being gone.

4:13 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Yep, you were a cat in your past life, you have nine lives mate!!
Asshat for keeping on driving when they had clipped you. What car will I be on the look out for today as we travel over to Eastern burbs from the West??
Glad you are still here, make this weekend a great one :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Stace said...

If you get killed, I'll kill you!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Geez, Ya just can't get good hitmen these days.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Jewel said...

Oh my word! To think you were almost road-kill, Aidan! (bad joke) I am so thankful that you are okay and kept your wits about you while being side-swiped. Be careful riding that bike. It just seems some people are so discourteous to bikers, you know? Have a wonderful weekend with your Stace!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Thanks menchie: its nothign that a law suit can't cure... Myself i can deal with loosing Stace, now that is annother story...

Cazzie: I wonder what took the ninth life as a cat? This weekend has been pretty good all round, more good cooking, and a lot of time with Stace.

Stace : Thanks dear..

Steve: you get what you pay for... ACME contract killers sure they're cheap but the service is terrible:)

Jewel: I am very careful on the roads.. But there is nothing you can do against stupidity... The advice my father gave me when i got my licence..." everybody on the road is an idiot" - IE. expect everyone to drive badly, and you should be able to anticipate the mishaps

9:58 PM  
Blogger lee said...

Well done on the time when you ran over yourself.Couldn't do that if you tried. It's like that silly thing when you accidentaly poke yourself in the eye or something.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Those without fear are those we hold dear, or something like that.

If you don't fear the great beyond, Aidan, you'll beat it. (I love Stace's comment, though)

If you don't think something can kill you or hurt you, then it won't. It can't.

If you think you're indestructible, you will be.

No need for you to fear the Grim Reaper, me man. He'd be no match for you or Stace.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Lee: i am strangely proud of that effort.... atleast i got a good story out of it.

WW: That's me, 6 foot tall and rocket proof... If any team could beat death it would be Stace and I... When im with her nothing is impossible:)

yuck too much mushy stuff on this blog these days

4:53 PM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

Egads!
I can't believe that arshole kept going..he must have been drunk and knew that he'd lose his license.
Glad to hear that you are still viable!

Now, here are your competitors..
Vivian Smith-Smythe-Smith,
Simon-Zinc-Trumpet-Harris,
Nigel Incubator-Jones,
Gervaise Brook-Hampster
and Oliver St John-Mollusc,

Please tell us your Upper Class Twit name?

9:54 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Aidan Im so VERY glad that ur ok mate. PLZ TC! When I drive I always watch out for cyclists.


**for the moments in life that set them apart, a stupid comment, or something ridiculous that happened to them, that could only have happened to them, or perhaps an act of great kindness.

very true. some people dun do such a great deal in life but they r well-remembered for a clever/witty word or 2 they uttered. Cos ppl r so unique.


Aidan u r such a positive person when it comes to accidents. Im quite the oppositte. A lil accident can freak me out big time and I'd be writing a eulogy already :)


** ripped me off and under the bike, and over my legs it went leaving two massive red wheel marks on my legs…. Quite an achievement if I do say so my self

LOL u crazy person. Im sure Stace saved ya.


Keshi.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

HE:Bertrand Leadpipe-Emsworth.. Small PG wodehouetribute in there too...

Keshi: You cant control everything you have to accept one day you will die, through some means or annother... Dwelling on it wont make it go away... live to the best of your ability

12:39 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

That's right, Aidan - don't leave it to others to run you over - do it right yourself the first time!! Hehe!

Glad you're all right. Be careful out there! :)

5:58 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Shelly: If you wnat something done right you have to do it yourself:)

3:39 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

so true Aidan. Im not scared of dying but Im just scared of that first bit...I mean the shock I'd be in just b4 Im dead :):)

Keshi.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Frank Baron said...

No matter how many times you might rub shoulders with the Reaper when you're young - none seem leave after effects. Because beneath the veneer of intelligence and common sense with which the young drape themselves, lies a rock-solid layer of belief that mortality is what happens to other people.

Then one day you wake up in hospital with tubes everywhere and very pleasant drugs coursing through your system because of a Stupid Heart Attack and dammit!! - you aren't young anymore.

But old has its pluses too. :)

Glad you're okay Aidan.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home