Thursday, April 12, 2007





All this talk of love and physical activity (not related or with anyone who is related) is probably giving the blog world the wrong impression of my true nature. Sure I ride ridiculous distances, love heavy metals concerts but it's what's inside that counts… And inside me is a man in a cardigan and a bow tie screaming to get out.. This all comes back to a joke I saw in New Scientist ( I swear I only read it for the articles), where a instead of the standard "Wash me" or "If Only my wife was this dirty" written in grime on a white car, some jaded chemist has written "couldn't afford the Titanium Dioxide"…

Amongst much snorting and spilling of ear medication, I had to explain exactly why this was funny… TiO2 is used in many medical instruments, Food preparation surfaces, and air conditioning filters as it is essentially self cleaning. Gunk does not stick to TiO2 in the presence of UV radiation…

It is good to see a university education at work…

Which brings me onto the geekiest bumper sticker I have encountered, in my many years wearing the coke bottle glasses badge of honour… it is best seen to be believed.

/* warning maths and physics ahead*/

First reason this is funny…. It shows an understanding of the Doppler Effect, common example an ambulance siren changes in frequency as it is coming toward and when it is going away from you, the motion of the sound emitter will change the recorded frequency… Emitter moving in the direction of the wave front, the waves contract, and away from the wave from they lengthen… Changing the observed frequency.. see below.







The formula being


Formula.... Velocity of object= (change in Wavelength/initial wavelength)* speed of light (c)

Wavelength of Red Light 700 Nm blue light 400nm

(700*10^-9-400*10^-9/700)C= Velocity of the emitor (or vehicle heading toward)

.42C = Velcoity


.42 of the speed of light.... or .42*1,079,252,848.8 km/h

462536935.2 Km/h
Obviously not driving my Barina. More a combination wheelbarrow and ride of mower than an actual car..

On a side note...just to mess with your head...

Quantum physics at a very basic level… That you cannot go faster than the speed of light Einstein jumps out with a stop sign and says No… This is due to Lorenz contraction. The faster you go the thinner you become (observed from external) as it becomes thinner, density increases, until object --> approaches -->0 in length and density --> Infinity… Therefore an infinite amount of energy would be required to reach the speed of light (in its most basic terms)

See Told you i was a geek

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Keshi said...

OMG Aidan u R a geek! :)

** And inside me is a man in a cardigan and a bow tie screaming to get out

LOL cute.


Quantum Physics? **cough** I'd rather study bird-life in the Amazon. Even if there were no birds there LOL!


:)
Keshi.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

You ain't no GEEK, this is right up my alley..don;t go thinkin'coz I am a mum of 4 kids I don't know my sciences and physics, I had to learn all of this for my degree :)
So, when are you going to join the Mythbusters?? We will be watching this every Monday night from next week :)

1:25 AM  
Blogger Stace said...

You ARE a geek, and all this is beyond me... god knows how I manage to live with this :) Buuuut I love you :)

4:53 AM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Well, I sure enjoyed the pictures...

HA HA HA HA!!!

Did I tell you I love your avatar?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: Quantum is fun, also youundestand the jokes in futurama, The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and Red Dwarf:)

Cazzie: i could almost consider potentially getting my TV fixed or replaced to watch that.... Or i could just wait for it to come out in paper back.

Stace: i may be a geek but you married me:)

(?): Who was that masked man... Laughed my head off at the Discount tent image... Richard the THird being one of the funniest books written:)
I think my avatar needs a change.. any suggestions?

8:02 PM  
Blogger Jewel said...

I'm with Keshi on this one, Aidan. You ARE a geek! But a nice, likeable geek. Meaning, you don't look down your nose at us non-geek people because we don't have a clue as to what you are talking about or why you would find it all so enthralling. I consider myself to be an intelligent homo sapien, though not in the "geek" category. Anywayyyyy....I'm just so glad to have made your and Stace's acquaintance through our blogs and the net! AND I enjoy reading your posts whether I understand all of the details or not! *smile*

10:41 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Jewell: thanks... I am glad i came accross you blog, there are so many facinating people out there... it makes the world a much richer place....

Keep hanging with us, you'll be making jokes about quantum physics by the end of the month

1:56 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

The Discount Tent was def a winner, Aidan. You da man.

I think your avatar is perfect!!!!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

I thought that was great.... it's a shame so very few would fully appreciate it.

Richard the third is Awesome

6:12 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

i love futurama :)

Keshi.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Princess Banter said...

I really liked the bit about you being a closet Mr. Rogers -- but damn, that math totally lost me. I think that it's one of those reminders that God didn't provide me great mathematical skills (thank goodness!). But hey, props to you! I dunno how relatively simple (or not) that way... but sure looked sophisticated :P Hahaha!

4:12 AM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

What choo talkin' 'bout Willis?

OK you probably never watched Gary Coleman on Different Strokes...anyway GEEKS rule!

Oh sure when women are ovulating they dress like tarts and go hunting for big jawed hairy brutes but on days 1-10 and 21-31 they want a nice cerebral sensitive smartypants who can dole out answers to questions..for instance like that bumper sticker conundrum.

..and what is wrong with wearing a cardigan and bow tie ensemble n'est ce pas?

8:25 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Princess BAnter: A new face, thanks for posting:) I had to look up Mister Rogers, Looks like a great show (or was).... I could almost watch TV again.. almost. Maths is easy once you see past the BS, focus on units and maths becomes a breeze.

HE: I got nothing against the cardigan, we bought one for my year 11 Physics teacher and a bow tie from the OP SHop... He was one of the best teachers i ever had. Amazing way with words and students.

I got the gary coleman reference, mostly because of an old simpsons episode...Most of the amazing women date monkeys, i think i just lucked out:)
thanks for stopping by

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

Thank you for illustrating your true nature :-)
Cool bumper sticker and only exceptionally understood, I am sure of that :-)
P.S. Windmills : built in 1740

3:13 AM  
Blogger Menchie said...

You lost me...maybe the hubby can explain some of the things here...he used to teach physics. The two of you would get on famously..

6:25 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Hildegarde: 1740 wow... those windmills are older than our country (as a colony)... the ages of items in europe never ceases to amaze me... we have a history of a little over 200 years, and your windmills are older...**shakes head**

Menchie: If i am ever in manila, we can have a Sci Fi conference...see who has the heaviest neutrino.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Menchie is ur hubby a cool bike-riding, body-surfing beach boy too? :)

Keshi.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home