Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Just a short bike ride he said....

Maybe I should take a step back and give a bit more information.... My father a
wonderful and community minded man, not to mention a cycling enthusiast, he sat
me down about a month ago and said.

"Do you want to do a short bike ride for charity?"

The lessen to be learnt for today, if a 67 seven year bike mad father ever says
the phrase short bike ride, turn and run for the hills because it means months
of training, blood sweat and a work synonymous with profanity..... Exercise.

I open the welcome pack forwarded on by email, and the eyes bulge, surely this
is a typo, uming and and arghing whether it is the distance or the phone number
I am staring at it, 700 kilometers, 5 days, the mental maths churning in my
head, that's about 140 kilometers a day... I have been hoodwinked, by a grey
haired Loki of the Bicycle underworld.

Don't get me wrong I am more than willing to do my bit for those in need, and I
am not exactly unfit, I'm 24 and built like a grey hound (after a month of
starvation), but the thought of 700 kms glued to a bike seat did not sound like
fun..

"Dad this bike ride, is there a typo in the heading? There seems to be a couple
of extra 0s after the 7."
"No its 700 hundred last year was a lot shorter, that was only 500.."

So after the shock of the email, my only course of action became clear, I need
to go.....




From This To This











Via this and this









So I bought a pair of bike shorts, (as stated below the only contraceptive to be
made out of lycra), you know the type, the one with the sanitary pad stitched
into the base. Makes you feel like there has been an unfortunate accident,
involving too many prunes. Every day for the last month I have completed a 20 km
(min) bike ride, on an old Malvern star more of an iron oxide deposit than an
actual bike, and approximately 16 kilometers on foot, amongst day to day walking
and fitness. A massive change in diet, moving from the see food diet (I see food
I eat it), to controlled diet fresh fruit and vegetables, and healthy soups. No
fast food, no soft drink, no lollies, or sweet things and a tonne of water
daily. A true health nut for a month. My legs are getting huge and I lost my
puppy fat, I have gone from the one pack to a 4 pack, if I stand up really
straight, and squint:-)

My bottom however is feeling the burn, bruised and batters, and the permanent
impression of a bike seat between the cheeks. Now with only 10 days to go, my
legs march on with much apprehension and dread, in a circular motion toward the
700 kilometers that await.
Despite my complaints and sore muscles it is all in a good cause funds will
support the following...

Romac
Life Education Victoria
Shelter Box
Gippsland Centenary House

Wish me Luck

Keep 'em spinning

Aidan

21 Comments:

Blogger Stace said...

I'm proud of you, honey! Knock 'em dead :)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

WOW Aidan u r a great son. A good man. And a determined soul. I wish u well in ur noble mission.


Keshi.

10:05 PM  
Blogger lee said...

definition of the name aidan:masochist. And you used that dirty word -exercise.tch tch.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Menchie said...

My dad bikes too.

Well, good luck. post pictures. I salute your discipline. And will maybe emulate it (sister's wedding coming up and all that) after I get through my hershey bar stash.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

STace: Thanks Baby....

Keshi: i had a great mentor, my father... He will be the subject of a post soon.

Lee: Hehehe its not that bad, my legs are getting used to it. it has been a while though:)

Menchie: Cheers... get on the bike and look stunning for the wedding, just dont show up the bride..

Sorry about the formating on the post, copy and paste from MS word, did something really strange to it.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

Mighty impressive !
You can do it !

3:34 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Hildegarde: Your from Antwerp they are bike nuts up that way... Closer you get to Nederlands the more bikes you see.... Amsterdam was crazy the whole day diving out of the way of cyclists

4:23 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Im sure he is great.


btw wut makes ya think I drive a purple n pink polka-dotted car? LOL!

Keshi chases Aidan with a sword in her hands..

Keshi.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Well done mate, you will feel soo good at the end of it, I promise :)
I don;t ride as far as you have been, but my bottom and legs don;t feel as heavy after a ride anymore like they originally did.
Go Iron man go!!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Jewel said...

I am so impressed with you, Aiden! I mean, you could have just told your father that you don't have the time and pushed some cash his way, but, nooooo....you have to make the rest of us look like the slackers we are and go for it! *smile* I used to walk/jog 3-4 miles a day until my back and leg difficulties came on about a year and a half ago, but with the help of the Lord and a good chiropractor, I am slowly working my way back to being more active! I look forward to hearing how you do. I remember so well how good I felt when exercising so faithfully. I hope to again.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi: a purple n pink polka-dotted car is because i had absolutely no idea and went with the strangest idea i had.

Cazzie: I am looking forward to it, it will be a great adventure one more for my father and I

Jewel: Sometime life throws a curve ball like that, if you ever want to see that god has a sense of humour, make a plan. Best intentions for fitness swept aside, hopefully you will be back on feet soon, and try and inspire a few more slack bloggers out there.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol I know.

Keshi.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Good on you mate.

As with any super-fit athlete priming themselves for a gruelling physical test, I assume you and Stace have been sleeping in separate bedrooms during your training.

At least that's the joke they try to pull over everyone's eyes about elite training in pro sports...

7:03 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

WW: i consider it annother form of exercise, it definately puts a differnent spin on excercising 45 minutes a day:)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

That it do, don't it mate?

Keep it up, so to speak. I'm sure it will give you extra endurance. (Stace: for "training" you must comply)

2:24 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

I will bring the suggestion up with the little lady,

"if not for me, then how about for the charities"

3:24 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

That would make you a "charity" case, but good strategy if she's not feeling -- ahem -- generous.

Tell her it's tax deductible.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Stace said...

WW - re your comment on my blog... don't be so sure I won't!!! hehe

2:49 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Im staying out of this due to fear of "rationing"

3:55 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

WOOHOO Aidan scored a HD!

Prof Keshi.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

OOch Ouch Yikes!

Hope you enjoyed having testicles.
I am sore even thinking about riding 20k on a eunichcycle!
That other workout that supposedly takes 45 minutes a day will soon be whittled down to a more manageable 4.5 minutes once your nads have been shredded by friction...I have the number for the Vienna Boys Choir if you want to make the most of your new upper case octave range.

All kidding aside Good Luck Aidan..
and who knows,
this could lead to something big, you just might get the lead role in The Crying Game 2!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home