Saturday, February 17, 2007

It is currently 37 ( 310K) degrees in down town Melbourne…. This heat is causing a high degree of writers block. Who can think of a witty, mature and coherent topic when the puddles of the city are 40% of the way to boiling? Questioning ones existence while pulling your sweat soaked underpants out of your butt crack seems somewhat incongruous.


Maybe I sweat therefore I am… Am I truly stuck to the leather couch, can I trust the perception of hearing the sucky noise as I pull away to fetch another stout is truly what I am hearing? Or is this just the way my mind perceives it.


How about a maths post? The difference between Fahrenheit and Celsius, and why any one would have water boiling at 32 degrees. Or the Kelvin scale and the impossibility of absolute zero, as no temperature would imply no movement, no movement would mean no mass, therefore impossible to reduce the temperature of any substance (as it has mass) to absolute zero.


Perhaps I could write a long and detailed view of the effects of sweat the function and operation of sweat glands. Or compile a list of those that don’t have them. Or the effects of Apocrine Sweat glands when coupled with a pair of bike shorts (The only contraceptive made from Lycra) the break down of the fatty material by bacteria in the particular region. (aka teenage male smell no mater how much deodorant they use they still smell) .


Or maybe a look at my personal favourite sweat gland, the Eccrine sweat glands, which pump gallons of salty, watery material all over your body, effectively cooling via loss of energy in evaporation, particularly latent heat of evaporation. It takes energy to change state, this energy input does not correspond to a change in temp, this energy is called latent heat… When changing from a liquid (sweat) to vapour (water vapour) heat energy from the skin is utilised, changes the state and as a result we feel cooler (could have fooled me) due to a reduction of heat energy.


Stuff it! I think I will just grab a beer and sit in front of the air conditioner… I wonder how it works?

13 Comments:

Blogger Within Without said...

No, lad, your Seven Per Cent Solution is far too easy.

I think you should write a series of posts on sweat and sweat glands, as you proposed.

You already seem fairly well versed in the subject. All these mundane, smelly facts are just exuding from you.

You can still do that as you enjoy a beer and the air conditioner.

That's my vote.

And welcome to Gloogler. You did well.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

It's not that bad, Glogger, that is... The dash board is a lot easier to use. Although it must eat about 2 comments a day.. which is a bit frustrating..

Very basic info on the sweat glands, the dynamics and physics behind cooling is much more interesting....

12:30 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I'd say just forget abt the maths, sweat glands and the heat...jump in da pool Aidan :)

Keshi.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Menchie said...

I am so with Keshi. Jump in the pool with Stace. :D

7:16 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Hrmm, evil dodgy mind is ticking over, thanks for the suggestion ladies:)

3:18 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Aidan u caught the heat bug? Awwww...TC mate.

Keshi.

4:39 PM  
Blogger lee said...

aidan, I reckon that you must be having all the heat there that we are supposed to have up the mid- north coast of new south wales!! What's going on!!!! There has never been such a mild summer. All the best with all the sweating ;) . My advice is -when you're on the lounge:sit on a towel :). It makes me wonder if Melbourne EVER has nice weather?-it's just not known for it.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Lee: in melbourne we have a saying if you dont like the weather wait 5 minutes..... BUt this is one of the hottest summers from memory, and the driest....

Keshi: thanks

12:51 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

check mah bloggy.

Keshi.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

Hot Stuff!
Well Mr Science I HATE converting Farenheit to Celsius and generally stay in my Fareheitic world of make believe...today it is a balmy 20 degrees..warm enough to snow anyway.
In an effort to rid my mind of your schweaty lycra balls I am thinking instead about Camel's humps which of course are big lumps of FAT which breaks down into hydrogen and not sacs of 'real' water..like implants...this is good...now after writing implants and humps I have cleansed my palatte and can continue on my merry way.
Good Day to you Sir.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

today it is a balmy 20 degrees..warm enough to snow anyway.

A big part of the issue 0 degrees C sounds gold, 20 degrees F is bloody freezing but sounds balmy.

Feekl free to drop in any time HE

1:13 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

btw its 35 here...HOT as hell.

Keshi.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home