Thursday, February 22, 2007

Five years ago I was a raging rocker… Now I am an aging rocker. Its official I am the pensioner of power chords, a heat pack head banger, the Methuselah of the Mosh pit. Five years ago, I loved hard rock, screaming my prayers to the gods of rock, moshing in perfect depressive sync to bass back bone which drives the crowd, begging for just one more encore. Now on encore number two I wonder why they haven't wrapped it up yet, because the last train leaves in approximately 30 minutes and I have a meeting tomorrow. Five years ago my phone would ring from those I had embarrassed, or impressed the night before, now only my ears ring.

The crowds I once loved seem juvenile, I see young girls wearing Ramones tops, most of which believing it’s a fashion label. Or if they are a "fan", their favourite song is "Hey Ho Lets Go", better known to those of the rock 'n' roll generation as Blitzkrieg Bop. Even the classic "Sheena is a punk rocker" is lost on those who proclaim to be a massive Ramones fan.

I begin to say things like back in my day we had real musicians with artistic integrity, like the Smashing Pumpkins, Stabbing Westward, Marylin Manson, Sick Puppies, and Sevendust… I mention the pumpkins, "sorry I don’t like classical music". Even roadies in my day were better, now they wear belts, cant even see the arse crack, and don’t even get me started on the absence of beer guts in modern music…

Bands that I knew and loved grew old, all of a sudden the Beasty Boys are forty on tour away from wives and children singing "you gotta fight, for your right to party" although "you got to fight for your right to invite a small number of your friends around for quiet drinks" never was going to have the same appeal.

Other bands that remain have sold their souls to the commercial music industry, the best example being The Offspring…

From this awesome number, called Jennifer Lost the War..

"Phoebe lost the war today
There must be some mistake
Say it happens all the time
And it's said and done
Little Miss 15 65 Your soul remains unclaimed
Guess you must have really sinned

Morality won't help her
When she lies silent in a morgue
And all our sorrows left her
But will the morning headlines
Even say that it's a shame
What are we headin' for?"

To this original prankster….

Knock down the walls, it's alive in you
Knock down the place, you're alone it's true
Knock down the world, it's alive in you
You gotta keep your head up through it all
You're gonna
Bust out on it - original prankster
Break out yeah - original yeah
Bust out on it - original prankster
You never stop now, stop now
That's what the main man say


The fashions changed too, my Rocksedo has faded grey, my black jeans a ghost of their former selves, stained with the passion of hundreds of concerts, and the sweat of legions of fans, my black shirt ripped and torn, from the legion of arms of those grappling for a touch of a Rock God; but at least they still fit.

This year is promising to be a big year for me concert wise, I saw Vasco Era, and Howling Bells on Wednesday, I have Regurgitator on Sunday, Reel Big Fish in April.. They are nothing compared to the big one; NINE INCH NAILS are coming back to Melbourne, I bought my tickets this morning, and I feel like a kid again or at least an immature 18 year old… Hopefully I have a few more gigs left in me, but as I always say, and it applies to the fans

"When the ramp is no longer just for the equipment it's time to walk away"

I will always love the music, amazing lyrics, which make me shudder, which make me feel alive. Songs that have reached out when I needed someone, or something to carry on, Reznor who showed me it was ok to be angry or lost, Manson who said being different is cool, Chris Hall who touched my soul with his words, Jeff Martin whose voice and lyrics make my skin prick. They will always be in my life.

" There are so many things

We need so desperately
And the TV preaches

We can't live without them
You tell me what is neat
I'll tell ya what I believe
If I ever were without it
Then I'd be worthless

'Cause you are everything
The only thing that matters
You are everything
The only thing that I need
You are everything
The only thing that matters
Yes you are everything
You are the air I breathe"


Stabbing Westward- The only thing


18 Comments:

Blogger Menchie said...

Must admit to being a total ignoramus when it comes to rock music in all it's forms.

But, have fun at the concert.

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

System of a down -like, yes ? Well, as an "old" woman (but being updated by my daughters friends) I can assure you : the adrenalin effect stays, as well as the moving aspect of the lyrics, the feeling so alive, ... I didn't realize till now that hard rock seems to be continentally bound. WW in Canada and you in Autralia talking of groups that say nothing to me (but I must stress (in capitals) that I do not know much about music) but when I look them up on You tube, then I am home immediately : hard rock indeed. So, I wonder, European groups probably are also very local ? Rammstein (Germany), Within temptation (the Netherlands) : ever heard of ?

4:21 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Within temptation??? not yet what do they play? heavy or melodic?..

I like a Finnish band called Nightwish... Heavy metal meets classical:) very cool.

I have just found i cant access your blog from work...

You cannot access the following Web address:
http://flanders-inside.skynetblogs.be/

The site you requested is blocked under the following categories: Forum/Bulletin Boards

Yet blogger remains free mwah ha haha ha

2:09 PM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

"When the ramp is no longer just for the equipment it's time to walk away"

Bucking Frilliant!

Hey wait until you are 49 and your rockgods are 60! HUH? I didn't go to see The WHO because when Roger Daltrey sings..
"We won't get fooled again!"..

it no longer has anything to do with protesting the Vietnam War or Watergate..

now it's about trying to remember what day of the week it is and trying to find your room at the nursing home.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Stace said...

HE - I'm 23. I've seen The Who, Deep Purple, Meat Loaf, and The Eagles. So there. :)

5:35 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

I am actually proud of my efforts, saw Regurgitator last night, moshed until midnight, started work at 7 so i am not doing to badly.

"now it's about trying to remember what day of the week it is and trying to find your room at the nursing home."
More fun to wander into other peoples rooms anyway.

Stace: The eagles were awesome:) Don henley has still got it:)

6:56 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Ur still very young Aidan...cmon it aint over yet.


** now only my ears ring.

hehe that was funny :)

U mentioned some great bands there. I believe u were a true rocker. A fine rocker that is.


Keshi.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Keshi:i was born to rock...mostly to mosh.. i think i have afew more years left. But i am starting to feel old

Bands i have seen in concert..
Live
sugar ray
Frenzal Rohomb
Mad Caddies
Green day
Klinger
mudvayne
rammstein
machine head
placebo
powder finger
good charlotte
sick puppies
reguritartor
KISS
The Eagles
Sevendust
superheist
area 7
nitocris
Stabbing Westward
Tea Party
Jeff Martin
Vasco Era
red square
dresdon dolls
Jason WEbley
Howling Bells
A Perfect Cirle
Giants of Science

To name a few.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Hildegarde said...

Within temptation : they became more and more melodic, big discussion : fans saying it is betrayel, WT saying : we explore our own way in music, etc. But success stayed. I youtubed Nightwish : interesting combination.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

OMG Aidan u've seen the best then, WOW what a list!!

U've seen Green Day and Powder Finger LIVE? thats just awesome! And Eagles ofcourse. What abt INXS?

Tho Im am a music freak I havent been to so many LIVE concerts - only a very few. But I've been to one that was really worth it. REM Live in Sydney.


Keshi.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

REM Live in Sydney
would have been awesome, I cant bring my self to see INXS, i feel like i am betraying the memory of Micheal Hutchins.... New INxs doesn't have the same appeal...

Hildegarde: Within temptation sounds like something to look out for... Might put it on the birthday wishlist...

5:00 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

The Gurg, rock on man!!!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Regurgitor are awesome. Even after 10 years, so much of their stuff just gets stuck in your head...
Its hard not to bounce like an idiot

12:33 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

WOW Aidan ur my kinda champion! btw when I asked that qn in my latest post, guess who came to my mind instantly. YOU. cos I knew it that u'd guess em all correct. :)

Michael Hutchence...was THE best. I know, the new faces/voices can never replace his legacy.


Keshi.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Can't say as many or almost any of the groups you mention mean anything at all to me, but the post sure does.

There was a whole bunch of really good feeling in your words, Aidan, and it's clear what music means to you.

It's fantastic. And you know what? As you get older, it becomes even more important, like a friend that never leaves you, something you can always fall back on to help you remember the way things used to be.

Brilliant post, mate.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

WW: reading my back catalouge of work:) I had a feeling you and HE would appreciate you have the rocker look about you.... plsu you both had the seventies, when i was a twinkle in my fathers eyes, wish i could have live through that, my hair would be two meters long and i would have a common law wife named rain mellon.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

HE and I used to spend hours at his place listening to Bowie, Supertramp, the Cars, everything else he could throw at me, as we drank copious amounts of beer and I always beat his butt at Blackjack.

When it got really bad, we'd do all the dance moves to Saturday Night Fever (Stayin' Alive) and every other Bee Gees song, singing in falsetto and everything.

It wasn't too long ago we'd be down in my basement playing pool on a crooked table, doing the air guitar and air drums thing to whatever was playing.

It lasts and lasts and lasts through the decades. It draws people together.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home