Thursday, October 19, 2006

Nothing matters…..
Wow that should sound depressing instead of a long drawn out speech on atomic theory…
In beginning of atomic theory, a man dropped a vase. The vase not surprisingly broke into many pieces being of inquisitive mind (Very similar to my uncle who died shortly after saying hey y’all look what I can do), he took forth a hammer, and laid the pieces to waste. After a while he became bored with this, and thought to himself, there must be a point in which I can no longer break this vase… The word Atomos was born, meaning indivisible, the smallest building block available.

Science progressed many more vases broke and theory continued to develop. We found we could break the vase further, we found protons, neutrons, electrons… We decided to cram them all together and hoped it would all balance out, the WSOGMM* model other wise known as the plum pudding model. Protons, electron and neutron in harmony in close quarters the atom however was chaotic and crowded, so the electrons moved out. Possibly due to the personal the personal habits of the neutrons or the unbearable positive attitude of the protons, but they moved to the edge of the known reaches of the sphere.

A young scientist got bored with breaking vases and decided to pelt it with balls. His name was Rutherford, he fired Alpha particles (Helium nuclei) at a sheet of gold, back when science was given funding over arts grants to paint the rocks green. He released that not as many particles were bouncing back, he was ducking for nothing…. He surmised that the mass must be centralised as most seemed to pass through. He came to the conclusion the electrons orbit the outside of the atom and the majority is merely empty space. As like reflects like, he could also establish that all positive charge was centralised in the centre of the atom.

Bohr, who wasn’t one, played with the idea of discrete energy levels, quanta, essentially he burnt things realised putting in energy changed the amount of electron excitement, like a lingerie calendar in an all boys primary school. I stood to reason al electrons would have a level of energy and the Bohr model was born, centralised nucleus containing protons and neutrons and orbiting electrons at discrete energy levels.

Quantum then developed, Heisenberg (gashuntite) uncertainty arose in which if you know something with certainty, you will loose the accuracy of the other. If you know the speed of an electron, you no longer know position with any certainty.
Joke: Professor Heisenberg flying down the road in his car, copper pulls him over and says “ Do you know how fast you were going?” Heisenberg says “no but I know exactly where I am”.
If there is a bad quantum physics joke I haven’t heard it.

Orbits became uncertainty clouds and unpredictable and dangerous. Electrons span til they got dizzy. The scientists did the same trying to predict them.

Where this post is going, it has become the history of atomic theory, what I wanted to say was, the atom is made up of empty space mostly nothing, the equivalent of a pea in the centre of the MCG. Completely different to peeing in the middle of the MCG. It is hard to think of something coming from nothing, but everything is made of atoms, which are essentially nothing, the truth is nothing came from nothing and were here in proof of that.


*Whole sort of general mish mash

8 Comments:

Blogger Stace said...

That makes me feel nicely insignificant!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

thanks i think:) you are the greatest collection of nothing in my life and you always will be:)36 days

9:54 PM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

Are you pulling my STRING theory?
I have watched the Elegant Universe several times in an attempt to reconcile these notions with what my brain can actually comrehend (ie I like the clour Blue and puppies) and I find it distressing that I am at a loss when it comes to understanding a quantum theory of gravity.

Oh sure all of the fancy graphics help but my severely challenged three pounds of grey matter holding my ears apart is constantly getting interrupted by things like "who sang that song about Brian Wilson's Irish Setter that drowned?", and " I am hungry..do I want something Salty or something Sweet?"
and so it goes.

I appreciate your efforts in trying to explain this world to me and I shall endeavor to consume any information that you can offer..the blogosphere needs more people like you to gently nudge others away from posts about their cat's birthday party.
Thank You.

ps
If you can get my head around 10 space/time dimensions I will pay you in cash.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Elegant universe? doco? one i havnt seen sorry. Gravity most people are at a loss, where not sure how it works. WE make up little particles to try and come to grip[s but it is such a weird idea, that matter is just attracted to other matter.

I am just a guy who thinks too much, but thanks for the compliment.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Stace: I think Aidan, who's a horrible typist, meant to say 365 days, not just 36.

Well, Aidan, me man, I am both entirely confused and thoroughly entertained, but I'm not sure why.

If you were speaking with any authority on what appears to be quantum physics, which I know absolutely nothing about, I'd like to know what that authority is.

Are you a physicist or an alien or are you just totally pulling our legs or what?

Whatever, fascinating. And funny. Even though I have no clear idea what I am laughing at.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

I have stidied a lot in my life, from meterology, physics, chemistry, astromony, philosophy...etc.. my major was in molecular biology and bio chemistry through the university of melbourne, as with all science student s finding no work in the field i took the next logical step into finance..

I know a little about quantum, but it is really weird. Most of that post is just the history of atomic theory, i am convinced people study science to break stuff.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Stace said...

No, he meant 36 days. It's 32 now. Until the wedding.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Stace/Aidan: Sorry guys, I figured he was talkin' about 365 days a year, etc...

Doh!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home