Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ah blog things.com I forgot how much time one could spend, working out which crappy Christmas present you would be, or which back street boy are you most likely to marry. That last one was a surprise to me as well. Although it is a good distraction while waiting for inspiration it is time to move on with theories of all things life related.

The older I get, the more I learn, the less I actually I know. I still remember a time were my father was the greatest font of knowledge in the known universe, any question from plastics to botany my father would know an answer. I knew that god watched down over my mortal life and everything would be ok for me and my friends if I trusted in god. That god made the world in seven days there were some dinosaurs god made as a side project but lost interest. Then influences such as La Vey, Bertrand Russell, Watson and Crick shook those foundations, the apparent hypocrisy in all organisations strengthened my resolve, the final nail was the answer was always God. Why does the grass grow? Answer God. Why is the sky blue? The will of god. Why do bad things happen to good people? Two answers for some mystery Gods ineffable will or acts of Satan. All of a sudden the answers seemed too simple, so I moved to physics where the answer is either 1 or zero but at least it is something concrete. The Satan answer changed. When we couldn’t explain something, it was no longer Satan but a new scape goat Quantum.

Teachers at school passed on their wisdom of biology and chemistry, In school I knew human gestation period was 9 months. Then I hit University, hang on I cried 40 weeks that’s 10 months. Another theory crashes down around my ears. Chemistry a simple nucleus and electrons like a merry go round happily circling, All of a sudden we cant even tell where they will be, only a probability of there position or speed and knowing one changes the certainty of knowing the other.. Heisenberg.

Quantum physics joke.

"Doctor Heisenberg was flying down the road in a Ferrari, copper pulls him over and says "do you know how fast you were going? Dr Heisenberg says "No. But I know exactly where I am."

Even the people of the world changed. Where I grew up, the population was predominately Anglo-Saxon and retired. There were a few Greek families all of which owned milk bars, a few Italians who either own restaurants or concreted for a living, and a Chinese family who ran the local Chinese take away. That is how I saw the world. I moved to Melbourne around 18 years later. All of a sudden there are heaps of Chinese people, but I couldn’t find the restaurants. Greeks and Italians who studied medicine, I wondered how they fit it in with all the concreting .

Even with everything that I have learned, I've seen a lot of the world, held several different jobs, studied at university been engaged, about to be married, spoken other languages with varying degrees of success. Yet I am still at a loss as to why a peak hour train is possibly the quietest place in the city. Why most people don’t know the names of any of there neighbours. Why people read tabloid papers, and why we enjoy being afraid?

Every idea, every thought I have ever had has been changed, questioned resolved, re evaluated. To say that I know anything at all is quite a strong statement.

Socratic axiom - All I know is that I know nothing.

5 Comments:

Blogger lee said...

Is it possible that you know nothing because your Dad was like the dad in the ad where his little boy asks him about the Great Wall of China and he says that "it's to keep the rabbits out"?? ;).

5:31 PM  
Blogger Within Without said...

Super profound, Aidan, and eloquently details the same bends and twists and turns we all go through.

The point is your final sentence: really, when you decide it's time to either shit or get off the pot, it's true: we really do know nothing.

And so you forget about it until the next time you need to go for a dump again...

Was neat reading the ups and downs and ins and outs and new thought/old thought you describe.

Been there, done that. Thanks for helping me remember it and laugh about it all...

5:35 PM  
Blogger Stace said...

Paradigm shift! (I just wanted an excuse to use that phrase, I love it) :-)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Homo Escapeons said...

Wonderful journey.

I never told my kids about Santa Claus..Santa was the gateway deity...if you are good he will give you presents..a precursor to the Big G...but then some kid tells you that Santa wasn't real...so if you grew up believing in Santa and he isn't real then ditto for the big G....

the irony of this is that I was having an identity crisis in my 30s and giving Christianity a second try..that's really why I didn't tell the kids about Santa...didn't want them to lose their faith..but it worked out OK...post christian and my offspring ask tough questions about everything and expect reeal honest answers...so despite my fumbling..they are on track..thus ends todays confession.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

Lee: sorry i havnt watched TV in ver three years. Sounds like a decent ad though. Dad was very knowlegable, Worked FOR CSIRO and a million things inbetween.

Within: t's time to either shit or get off the pot, it's true: we really do know nothing. Very elegantly said. I am probably jsut the standard 20 something guy (24) thinking too much instead of watching where he is going, but lets see what happens.

Stace: As you know the best "paradigm shift comes from Vernon God Little... You see a man with his hand up his grandmothers skirt. Your immediate though is pervert. After you find his granny was alergic to bess and one had flown up her skirt... Deviate to hero. Paradigm shift is just the way we view information.

HE: I think santa has some level of fun for the kids and a level of fanatsy like the dragon lance series. until they get too old to believ in fairy tales..

my confession is i still wait to find out i a adopted and actually a wizard, or from outerspace (it would explain a lot).

I was brought up christain i have had a few attempts at it, but cant turn my brain off long enough to live by faith.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home